You may recieved this error message: "The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file".
When backing up “C:\xxx\yyy\zzz.txt” because another application has held a read-exclusive lock on “C:\xxx\yyy\zzz.txt”. The backup agent, therefore, is unable to open the file to read its content.
Please try the followings to resolve this problem:
- Enable the Volume Shadow Copy option for the corresponding backup set if you are on Windows 2003 or XP.
- If you are on an older version for Windows, you may need to obtain a generic “Open File Manager” in order to backup the locked files.
- If the locked file is not important (e.g. C:\pagefile.sys), simply exclude the locked file from your backup source. By doing so, this message will not appear again.
- If the locked file is a database file held open by one of our supported applications (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Oracle, Lotus Domino/Notes, MySQL), simply use the corresponding add-on module provided to backup the database. This way, you can backup the database you want (using the application specific APIs) without accessing the database file directly.
- If the locked file is a file held open by some other third party applications, you can use the [Pre/Post Command Line Tool] to shutdown/restart the application that is locking the file before/after a backup job to make sure that no locks will be placed on files that you need to backup.